menu close
in this section

We aim to identify the right courses and the right institutions for students as individuals and then make sure students are accepted on to their preferred course.

Students work closely with their tutors to decide on their post Sixth Form options. This process is aided by reference to the COA Preview report from Year 11, the work experience student self evaluation information gathered the previous term.   

Year 12 students will also be welcome to attend the biannual Trent College Careers and Higher Education Fair.

Tools for the job 

In January our Higher Education evening is a time when students and parents begin to look seriously at all the available post Trent options and are provided with the key information and tools they need to make informed decisions. 

In June students attend university open days and our own two day Futures Conference encourages students to actively engage in the process of research of university courses and refresh their awareness of the tools available to them with which to do this  They are also given specific advice on writing their personal statements, experience and confidence in interviews and information on options other than university that are available to them, such as Gap Years.  Finally we aim to provide them with a timeline of what they should be doing and when during their remaining time at Trent College. 

On day two of the conference Year 12 students travel to Sheffield University for a taste of university life and to use the visit as a benchmark to judge other universities. This enables them to narrow down the course they eventually wish to pursue and the university where they wish to pursue it.

Planning for the future 

We have prepared a range of guides to help you prepare for the University application process and other options after Sixth Form.

How to choose a University course

Higher Education Booklet 2017-18

Writing Frame for a Personal Statement

Writing the Personal Statement

Interview Skills

Not Going to Uni - Your Options

Gap Year

in this section

get in contact

Trent College, Derby Road, Long Eaton, Nottingham,
NG10 4AD United Kingdom

PHONE: 0115 849 4949

contact us